Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mud Mouth & Lilacs


Discussion – Time & Presence

April 9, 2011

"...Something I read in one of our study books is from a book called Grace Base Parenting by Tim Kimmel …it stated that our child's three driving inner needs are 1) A need for security; 2) A need for significance ; 3) A need for strength. So the three valuable gifts we can give our children are: love, purpose and hope. Isn't that powerful! Let us grow our children up so they may have roots but also wings to fly! ... :)"


April 11, 2011

"... My oldest son Levi just turned two in February, and LOVES to play outside. He brings me his jacket and shoes, takes my hand, and says "OUTSIDE!! Peeez!" It has been raining so much lately and I would rather just stay inside where it is warm and dry. But I know it is important to him, so I've been bundling both my boys up in warm coats and taking them to our backyard even if it is overcast and sprinkling. Just even for a short amount of time.

Levi mostly likes to play in the dirt and this at first was annoying to me. I'd rather have him play on his plastic play structure, cozy coupe car or sandbox. Mostly because, he gets the mud and dirt all over himself from head to toe. BUT I have decided that he is washable. I usually just strip him down when we come back inside and give him a quick bath. He is thoroughly enjoying himself and it isn't hurting himself (with the exception of when he ate dirt and he got his mouth washed out! lol! see photo) Like Dr. Reivich shared in one of her stories about driving her boys around and getting lost and she was cranky but her boys were laughing - she made the decision to step back and just enjoy the moment. Sure, I could MAKE my son stay out of the dirt, but what good would that do other than just serve my own selfish desire to keep my son clean and make less work for me in the long run. I think it is important to let my boys enjoy life and if that means some dirt under the finger nails and down the diaper, so be it. :)"


Discussion – Savoring Spring

The question was about what are your favorite spring scents and what memories from your childhood do they make you think about? (paraphrased)

For me there are several scents that come to mind when I think of my favorites, especially ones that have memories attached to them. But I limited this post to my top three:

*Lilacs- They are probably one of my very favorite flowers! Even though, they bloom here a little later in spring, the scent of them reminds me of the two large lilac bushes that grow on the boundary of my parent’s lawn. My mom is a huge gardener and I think of her spending hours outside, humming as she weeded and pruned and made her garden a display of beauty for everyone that drove by. I have one small lilac bush in my backyard at my house now, and I love when it starts blooming and take deep breaths drinking in the glorious smell! Wonderful scents and memories…

*Dirt – The smell of dirt, especially freshly plowed dirt, brings me back to growing up on the farm and riding on the tractor with my dad. He was a farmer all the years I was at home. He loves this time of year, and the crops just planted and some of the seeds just starting to grow. Such a special memory.

*Grass – Freshly mowed grass takes me back to the days of running track. I actually get a little tingling in the bottom of my stomach as I think back to track meets and getting so nervous before I would run a race. Even though I can’t run like I used to, the smell of grass makes me want to put on my running shoes and take off down the road for a jog!"
 




No comments:

Post a Comment