Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Nature Trail


April 7, 2011

Discussion – Savoring Spring

"I feel so blessed to live where I do. There are a lot of places I can take my little boys to observe and enjoy the outdoors – and savor spring! One of the places I discovered this last summer is only about a five minute drive from our house. It is a Wildlife Habitat Area owned and maintained by the local Fish and Game. The neat thing is, it is located within city limits, but once you walk inside and are on the trail, you feel like you are in the mountains. They have a nice paved walking trail so I can take my two boys in their double stroller. Last summer, we went several times and saw rabbits (my favorite!), butterflies, birds of all kinds (they say as many as 98 species have been sited), a snake, and they have an underground observatory where you can see a crayfish, snails and tiny fish swim by. The boys loved that!

There is also a rock fountain when you first walk in with a bubbling pond and brook. There are benches along the trail where you go off the trail a bit and just sit and soak in nature. I felt like it was not only fun but also educational for my children and will be even more exciting this year now that my boys are a little older. I’m looking forward to taking there again, as soon as the weather cooperates!

Photos below are from our two visits this week and last....


I had the parking brake on ;)

The underwater viewing area of the little fishies! So cool!

A Bloomin Tree ;)


Levi checking out the pinecone

Wyatt inspecting his pinecone

One of the cute little rabbits we crept up on

A hands-on learning experience

My Little Dudes - Levi trying to escape

Picnic in the Backyard - thanks to McDonalds :)

April 20, 2011
"Last Monday and this Monday, I took my boys to the nature trail that I discovered last summer. It is less than a five minute drive from my house and such a treasure! I am going to try to take them there once a week.
I took my time and stopped along the way, pointing things out to my boys, like different birds flying overhead, and the little rabbit twitching it’s little nose and perking it’s ears in the air. We wait and watch and creep closer and then laugh as it bounds away. I pushed them along in the double stroller and let them touch the trees along the trail. We have played with the pine cones and touch the rough spindles. And of course, Levi had to stick one in his mouth to see how it tasted while my youngest inspected it and turned it over and over in his hands. I love seeing how differently they each react and learn.

These are such special memories. I took a few photos with my cell phone camera... We also had a picnic in the backyard when we got home. I treasure these times with my boys because I know they just grow and change so fast. I want to appreciate each moment with them. 

Some more photos from the trail and just playing in the backyard. :)


I love the tree canopy

Cuties :)

Levi on his bike

Wyatt got in there on his own. He was so proud.

Then Levi had to come and sit on him. Brothers. :)

Getting ready to go down the slide, with mommy's help. :) Wee!

No comments:

Post a Comment